Grants & Scholarships
There are many options for funding a college education. Below are two programs we want to make you aware of should they be able to supplement other sources of financing you have secured.
In addition, you can use Sallie Mae's scholarship search tool
to search over 3.5 million scholarship opportunities totaling more than $18 billion.
2021 Statewide College Scholarship Program
Once again, Hudson Valley Credit Union is happy to provide our Annual Scholarship Program, offered in partnership with the New York Credit Union Association. College-bound high school seniors have an opportunity to win a scholarship between $500-$1,250 through the program. Please review the following instructions carefully before completing the form at the bottom of this page.
Eligible applicants must be a member in good standing of Hudson Valley Credit Union* and meet all of the following criteria:
- The member is a college-bound high school senior at the time of application.
- The member is attending college for the first time in the fall of 2021.
- The member will be enrolled in either a two- or four-year accredited educational institution.
- The member agrees to use any scholarship funds awarded by January 31, 2022, at an accredited educational institution only.
* Students must have at least a Savings Account in their name only or they are listed first on a joint Savings Account with an adult.
If you are not currently a member, please call 845.463.3011or visit our membership page
to learn how to join.
To request a 2021 Scholarship Application, please complete our membership verification form via the link below; once we verify your membership, you will receive an email with the application link and a special code you will need during the application process. In general, all applicants will need to provide:
- An application form signed by both the student and a parent/guardian.
- A high school transcript documenting your GPA for grades 9-11;
- An SAT/PSAT/ACT transcript; and
- An essay response.
The deadline to apply is January 8, 2021, so request your application now. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
and we’ll be happy to help you.
New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) helps eligible New York residents attending in-state post-secondary institutions pay for tuition. Depending on the academic year in which the student begins study, an annual TAP award can be as high as $5,000. TAP is a grant, and does not have to be paid back.
Applying for TAP
For New York State residents who include a New York school in “step six” of the FAFSA, the NYS Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) will automatically send the applicant an Express New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Application (ETA). Deadline for filing the TAP Application is May 1st of the academic year for which aid is sought. For more information, visit the HESC website.
If the FAFSA applicant will also be applying for TAP, remember to submit the FAFSA early enough to be able to receive and submit the TAP application before the May 1st deadline.
Student Loan Coaching Resource
Get free student loan coaching from BALANCE. Counselors will give you a one-on-one session and discuss your financing options.
Student Loan Coaching